Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy Sabbath to all

This morning I will be attending Priesthood Leadership Meeting and the General Session of Stake Conference. I will have to keep this short. I say that but as Gary Rosenlof knows, it may not end that way, so here goes.

A few key experiences have greatly influenced how and why I study the scriptures. Lehi's dream of the Tree of Life that speaks of the "rod of Iron" is a big reason that I will discuss at a future date. There have been personal experiences that have greatly impacted my opinions.

When I first experienced the influence of the Holy Spirit in my life and studies I came to realize that Joseph Smith had been led by this influence in his search for truth. Joseph was drinking in knowledge directly from the fountainhead where the water was pure and unpolluted by the opinions and interpretations of man. I became convinced that God would do the same for me if I diligently sought greater light and knowledge. I knew God would do that because I experienced it every morning during my personal study. Consequently it became a question of how diligently I would pursue the knowledge rather than a question of whether God would give it. I followed the admonition of Christ to "Seek and ye will find, knock and it shall be opened unto you." My experience has been built on this assumption.

After several months of diligent study I was transferred to Moses Lake, Washington. A few months after my arrival we were told Elder Mark E. Peterson would be meeting with the missionaries from around the central part of Washington State. When Elder Peterson arrived and the meeting commenced, Elder Peterson opened the meeting to questions. One missionary raised his hand and asked, "Elder Peterson are there any books you could recommend that would help us be better missionaries?" Elder Peterson reached for his scriptures, raised them in to the air and said, "These are the only books you should be studying! Don't buy any of those books people just write them to make money." I was shocked by Elder Peterson's candor, particularly since he had written such stellar works as the largely forgettable, "Adam, who was He?" books and similar fare that were not very substantive. This experience planted my first seeds of cynicism when it came to books published by the marketing arm of the Church.

Several years ago I spoke with President Stapley, (who I found out two days ago had passed away) he shared another experience he witnessed with Elder Peterson. At this time Elder Peterson was very advanced in years and felt little reservation when it came to speaking his mind. A missionary approached this great Apostle and asked, "Elder Peterson, how many times have you read the Book of Mormon?" Everyone present was surprised when Elder Peterson replied, "Once!" He then added he had studied the Standard Works topically thereafter. I have done both. I stopped counting how many times I had read the Book of Mormon when I reached fifty. I have done the same with the New Testament, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. I have probably read the Old Testament about ten times. In tandem with reading I have studied all the books topically. When you study topics across all the Standard Works you begin to see God's hand in all the writings. Newer scriptures frequently define older terms and you come to see a divine hand that works throughout it all.

Ooops! Time got away.

Have a great day.

0 comments: